Dental hygiene is more important than most of us realize. Teeth and gum health impacts overall wellness and has been linked to an increased risk of common ailments and/or worsening of existing conditions. Diligent brushing and flossing is not always enough to keep oral health problems at bay. Regular appointments at the dentist’s office will provide thorough cleaning. They also promote early detection and treatment which can help prevent major dental issues and their consequent impact on your health.
Advantages of regular tooth cleanings:
- Check gum disease: Regular dental cleanings combined with good oral hygiene habits can reduce the risk of gum disease which can ultimately result in tooth loss.
- Prevent tooth loss: Unchecked cavities and gum disease can both cause teeth to fall out. Professional cleanings, at least twice a year, combined with proper dental hygiene might be able to prevent this.
- Brighten your smile: Dark beverages, chocolate, smoking and certain medications can stain your teeth. Tooth cleaning and polishing removes stains for a whiter, brighter and more attractive smile.
- Stop bad breath: The effective way to stop bad breath is good dental hygiene. Brushing and flossing may not be able to get at hard-to-reach areas, resulting in buildup, bacteria and bad odor.
- Save money: Timely tooth cleanings, which are typically covered by your dental insurance, can help reduce the risk of costly, extensive treatments in the future.
- Prevent oral cancer: At the time of your dental cleaning, the dentist is also screening you for oral cancer. Early detection leads to more positive outcomes.
Watch this video to learn more about dental hygiene.
Make professional tooth cleanings a part of your dental hygiene routine. Regular checkups and cleanings are the best way to make sure that you are maintaining good oral health. Keep your teeth for a lifetime!