Porcelain Dental Veneers: Non-Invasive Solution for That Perfect Smile
Dental veneers offer a simple, non-invasive cosmetic solution for ugly-looking teeth. Although veneers are a part of cosmetic dentistry, they also have some restorative benefits. Well-made and properly applied veneers can last a long time.
What is a dental veneer?
A dental veneer is a wafer-thin, translucent ceramic shell that is placed over the tooth and set in place with special glue. Made from ceramic, it is mainly used to improve the appearance of frontal teeth.
Why use porcelain dental veneers?
- To restore chipped or broken teeth (as a result of an accident or illness)
- Whiten discolored or badly stained teeth (from smoking, drinking dark beverages or yellowing with age)
- Cover unsightly gaps
- Give shape to malformed teeth
What is the process for applying dental veneers?
- A thread is laid first to prevent the gums from getting hurt during the diamond grinder sanding process and to achieve attractive borders during the tooth impression preparation.
- A thin layer is removed from the enamel as needed (special depth marks are made to guide the dentist).
- A bite registration is made with the help of plastic veneers (used to make an impression before sanding).
- The provisional veneers are tried on after they are hardened and then refined.
• The next step is for you to choose the color.
- The order is then sent to the technician who will make your actual dental veneers (which typically take a week).
- In the final step, the provisional ones are removed and your teeth cleaned of the glue before the actual porcelain dental veneers are applied.
- The surface is treated with an array of glue products and the veneers inserted.
- Any surplus material is carefully removed.
- The veneers are then thoroughly polished.
The advantages of dental veneers:
- The process is fairly painless.
- It can be completed in a couple of visits.
- The tooth color is individually corrected.
- They can function as a protective outer layer saving the cost of other expensive restorative or cosmetic dental treatments.
Watch this video to learn more about dental veneers and decide if this is your ideal solution to a perfect smile.