Holiday Greetings for Winter Solstice
Holiday greetings to you and your family from the Brodhagen Dental Care team on the occasion of winter solstice!
The special day that marks the official beginning of winter falls on December 21 this year. Throughout history, solstice has been a time for rebirth and renewing our connection with family and friends. Many of the popular Christmas traditions like the festive tree are said to have originated from solstice rituals from around the globe. As we honor the season and our relationships, let us also spare a thought for our oral health. An attractive smile has the power to make someone happy… and it begins with healthy teeth and gums.
What is Winter Solstice?
In the northern hemisphere where we live, winter solstice marks the shortest day and longest night of the year. It occurs when the earth’s semi-axis tilts farthest from the sun over the Tropic of Capricorn. The word “solstice” is derived from the Latin word “Solstitium,” which means ‘the Sun stands still.’ The sun moves so slowly on this day that it appears to be still. Here are some interesting facts about the day:
- Winter solstice happens at a specific time, not the entire day.
- It occurs at different times each year and is not always on December 21.
- While astronomers consider winter solstice as the first day of the winter, for meteorologists, winter starts from December 1.
- Some believe that early Christians chose winter solstice to celebrate Christmas because the date of Christ’s birth was unknown.
- In 2012, many people believed the world would end on winter solstice as it marked the end of the Mayan calendar.
- Stonehenge in the United Kingdom is a popular spot to watch both the winter and summer solstice (longest day of the year—usually around June 21) as it is associated with many pagan rituals.
To learn more about winter solstice, check out this video.
This winter solstice, we invite you to pay special attention to your teeth and gums. At our dental clinic, we provide comprehensive services for your whole family. Whether you need restorative dental treatments, teeth whitening or cosmetic dental procedures, we strive to provide the highest quality of professional care in a warm and friendly environment. Schedule a dental checkup to discuss how you can improve your oral health and maintain a beautiful smile.