Holiday Greetings and Dental Tips for a Happy Halloween from BDC
Holiday Greetings from the team at Brodhagen Dental Care. Halloween is an exciting time for kids. It means dressing up and loading up on tons of candy! Here are 5 tips to let your children enjoy their favorite time of the year while maintaining good oral health.
- Set rules: Discuss how much candy your kids will be allowed to eat. Do this even before they go out trick-or-treating.
- Use small bags to sort candy: As your children sort through the candy they have collected, give them small bags to keep their favorites. This will help minimize their intake.
- Allow a treat after meals: This establishes good eating habits and helps reduce the amount of candy they consume. Being full after a meal and setting times for treats prevents frequent snacking which is a major cause of tooth decay and cavities.
- Brush, floss and rinse: Encourage them to rinse their mouths with water after eating snacks or candy. This will help wash away some of the sugars and acids that wear out tooth enamel. Be extra vigilant about their brushing and flossing to get rid of candy and food that gets stuck in between teeth.
- Practice what you preach: Be a good role model. Let your kids see you practice the diet and oral hygiene rules you have set for them. Children are more inclined to learn by example.
To learn about the origins of Halloween, watch this video.
Make it a point to schedule a dental checkup for your kids (and you) before or after Halloween. Regular exams help diagnose dental issues at the early stages when treatment is most effective. Our dental clinic offers a full range of the latest treatments to help your family enjoy good oral health and a happy smile. Ask about our Cavity Free Kids Club!